Saturday, October 11, 2014

Being Presbyterian

I’m not sure everyone knows that until very recently I have not actually been a member of this church.

As your Associate for Congregational Life, I am one of the people working to grow the church’s membership, but joining the church myself isn’t a job requirement—Otto Wedul, one of my predecessors, worked tirelessly to expand this congregation without ever becoming a member. Although I am employed by you, I could have joined any church in this area, or none, but I chose you.

Selecting a church is a very personal decision that encompasses everything from the very basic “Do I consider myself a Christian?” to the more complicated “Is this denomination a good fit with my personal beliefs?” and “Does this congregation meet my spiritual and emotional expectations?” For me, the answers to the first two questions are “gimmes.” My parents jointly decided to become Presbyterians when they married. I was baptized and confirmed in the Presbyterian church. Over the years I have attended services at many different Christian churches and several Jewish synagogues, but I always come back to the comfort of the structured yet flexible Presbyterian Church. Reformed and always reforming; changed and always changing. The denomination’s willingness and ability to adapt to the evolution of society and theology has lost us some members recently, but over the long haul will keep Presbyterianism alive and vital.

Which brings me to that third question—is this the right congregation to join? For me, at least, the answer is a resounding yes. From the time I first started attending services here, you all have reached out to me in friendship and support. I appreciate the functional and attractive campus; the camaraderie of belonging to the small but mighty choir; and the intelligent, inspiring sermons Harrell delivers every Sunday. I love this church and am happy to be an official member of it.

One of the highlights of my recent vacation was a visit to the First Presbyterian Church of Belfast (founded in 1644, present building completed in 1783). The church is much smaller than ours, but very beautiful. When my sister and I admired the gorgeously modeled and painted plaster ceiling, our guide told us that some years ago it had been severely damaged by a bombing across the street. However, he went on to say, the destruction had been a blessing in disguise. The pews, covered in centuries of nasty black varnish, were so pitted by the falling plaster that they had to be stripped, revealing the lovely golden oak beneath. The Sanctuary is much lighter and brighter since they’ve been refinished.

The First Presbyterian Church in Belfast shares several important characteristics with the First Presbyterian Church of Sun City: A worshipful atmosphere. A commitment to caring for God’s house. And a friendly congregation with a positive, “we can do it” attitude.

It’s good to be back home. It’s good to be Presbyterian. It’s great to be a member of this church.

~Beth Mabee

No comments:

Post a Comment